9.08.2009

Maple leef stamp on my passport

It was raining in the morning. I heard someone saying that summer is already over. So soon?

My second day in Victoria started with oatmeal with brown sugar and milk. Oatmeal is kind of okayu made of wheat instead of rice. It is said to be healthy, so I tried one for the first time. The oatmeal tasted good at first but it was different from what I imagined. After I added some brown sugar to it, it got sweeter and less delicious. I sometimes tried to eat it with milk, but I didn't like it very much. Hmmm...


Then I visited the British Columbia Parliament buildings. That buildings were very old and looks like European with green lawn and various kinds of flowers. I joined a free guided tour and they took us inside the Parliament. A man dressed in suits and hat with a stick in his hands, acted as the architect who designed the building and explained the detail. He spoke British English. I wish I could understand what he said thoroughly.

Royal British Columbia Museum was great. They had a special exhibition of world history at that time, so I was excited to see everything. The museum was also huge, and it took 3 hours to go through all of them. I saw many kinds of treasure from all over the world; mummy, jewelry made of gold, native Americans' crafts, so many things. Because their explainations were written in simple English, it was easy to know when and what happened to the treasure at that time. When I was sitting on the couch, an elderly man talked to me. He told me that he lived in Alberta province, which is contiguous to British Columbia. We talked about this museum and history for a while and had a good time. Then I dropped in at the Museum cafe and ate Italian panini and mashroom soup for lunch. They were both hot and delicious! They helped me to keep warm.

On the way back to Seattle, a girl from South Korea sat next to me. She told me that she had just finished working in Vancouver for 3 months and was visiting Seattle. She was working as a volunteer in a special care house and they provided accomodation and meals. Her English was very good, and we talked about a lot of things in the ferry. One problem was that she had not reserved any hostel yet. It was middle in the 3-day off, so all the hostels in Seattle were fully booked. She had to call them again to ask whether they had any cancellation fot that night. I was very worried because it was almost 8 pm and she was going to sleep in a park if she could not find any vacancy, which is of course dangerous. I gave her some quaters so that she would be able to make a phone call immediately after arrival as she had no American currency. I felt happy to do so because I did the same thing with the lady who gave me some American coins on the airplane coming to Seattle. The kindness is being passed on. I hope she found somewhere to stay at and is enjoying her visit in Seattle.

This trip to Victoria made me more confident about my English as I reserved the ferry and the hotel on the phone and explored Victoria all by myself. I will not hesitate to ask questions or make reservations any more. It was such a wonderful, unforgettable experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment