3.16.2020

Trip to Minnesota!

Had a short trip to Minnesota to attend a conference. Glad it was not cancelled, but I was told to work from home upon return. It was in the midst of the conference that it was decided that my university will start delivering classes online immediately and cancelling large events. 95 people registered for the conference, and about 80 showed up. The majority of us got to travel just before travel suspention took effect. Indeed, business related domestic and international travels have been suspended, and study abroad programs were cancelled for this summer semester, unfortunately. The opportunity loss and the damage to the economy, especially travel industry is tremendous. I wonder how airlines act to recover the largest loss in their history.

Nevertheless... It was my first time to go to Minnesota! The downtown area looked nice on the map, but I didn't go this time because the conference was in a different city. 

7 am flight. It was short, probably 1 hour and a quarter. The plane was about 70% full. Very pleasant one with gentle touchdown. The seat next to me was empty!

Crowne plaza Plymouth. There was a coutecy van and takes you around for a short distance trip from and to the hotel. I wish I knew that!

Went on a pulse milling company tour. Pulses are dry legumes such as peas, beans, lentils, chickpeas, excluding soy, peanut, and other non-food plants.

Red lentil flour makes a bright pink fluor!!

Yellow peas

Lentils

Chickpeas

I was invited for a dinner with a few employees of the company we visited earlier in the day. The lake was near Cargil founder family's house, and it was a rich neighbourhood. The steakhouse we went to was fancy and high-class place where they serve amazing wine and food. I had grilled sea bass on pesto rice. It was a place that you feel too fancy to take a photo of food. The sea bass and wine were absolutely terrific!   

Road near the hotel. There are over 10,000 lakes in Minnesota. I saw many small ponds and large lakes. Being near a body of water feels great. But it was cold outside!!  

Nightview of downtown Minneapolis from the plane. I'll come again when it's warmer and when I have a lot more free time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment