5.09.2020

NIH career webinars today

Thoughts on skills.... It really makes me think what I can do after getting a PhD. It's been a tremendous training opportunity to form research questions, look up resources to solve problems, organize and motivate myself, and get things done.  It's a huge reap compared to me 4 years ago that could not form research questions on my own, instead carrying out experiments as told.

I learned so much and I believe these skills are transferrable to any field. But if so, almost all PhD holders will have gained these skills sets, so what sets me apart from everyone else?  What experiences do I have to make some contribution to the industry??  There may be a moment when you are struck by a lightening and suddenly find out the answer to the lifelong agita - what you want to do with your life - ?  Or would you just take an opportunity that come around in a timely manner that you feel like, and you just end up spending a significant amount of your life doing that?

13TH ANNUAL NIH CAREER SYMPOSIUM- AN ONLINE EVENT


Advice from industry researchers and admins in NIH career panel discussion today:



  1. Learn management skills.
  2. Collaboration - work with other people with different expertise. -- I can talk about my interdeciprinary research project.
  3. Learn to advocate yourself. Tell how your research is important.  Useful skill beyond interviews.
  4. Understand the company's mission and explain how you can contribute to it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment