6.23.2021

Remote work, going back to office, and seeing people in person again

 Witnessed a bit of a drama for the first time in a long while.  After being working from home , being alone all day every day, I'm aware that my interpersonal skills have gotten rusty.  It feels wierdly comforting to see other people's emotions in person, both positive and negative. It makes me realize "Oh, there they are.  They exist in this real world, not in a computer screen, and they have emotions just like I do."  We humans are social animals, indeed, and while it makes me anxious to be directly exposed to other people's feelings, it also makes me feel like I exist in this moment with others, for real.

Being by myself is easy, comfortable, and stress-free.  There is nobody that uses my kitchenware without asking, forgets cleaning the bathroom after use, or plays loud music when I want to focus on work.  But with no interaction with humans, that easiness can actually be toxic because loneliness builds up and yet your needs for social interaction is masked by the comfort and zero stress of not being around with people.  It's like muscle.  You need to keep training your muscle to move or to perform daily activities, but not training it is easy.  But if you don't train it for too long, your muscle will decline and eventually you will have difficulty in moving.  

At the end of the day, I need some interaction with humans some time in person.  Whether it's for work or leisure.  It will take some getting back used to, but I am kind of looking forward to it.  For now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment