7.10.2021

Balance of efficiency and quality

Making slow but steady progress on my data analysis and writing the final chapter of my destination.  

I was panicking a few days ago because I'm supposed to submit my dissertation to my committee in a week and still I am working on data analysis. I talked with my advisor and sought her advice.  She said I should stick to my original plan to defend in August because the three other chapters are already done.  My last chapter doesn't need to be super sophisticated sociological paper because of the small sample number I got, and it would take a long time to really look into the details of the study as we had so many questions.  So, it's a better idea to write a preliminary data analysis report kind of chapter to finish up.  This was really good and timely advice.  I don't have to dig deep and give myself more work.  If I have a deadline, then I should stick to it and do my best within that timeline rather than delaying my plan. 

Some quotes that came to my mind...
- done is better than perfect.
- it's impossible to please everyone.  If you talk with someone, they will give you ideas on how to analyze data, or what can be added, and this will go on and on. 
- data analysis will take as long as you let it.

It also reminded me of what my internship advisor told me, that I do a very detailed job, but I am not super fast.  What is important in the industry is speed and efficiency!  I feel like the only way to make things happen fast is to do less because it does take some time to ensure that your report is error-free, and you can't skip that checking.  So the only way to do things fast is to do less. Look at less questions, less data, and write less results and discussion, but usually it will be more than enough.  If not, you can add more after getting initial feedback. 

Okay, I will stick to my deadline, be very efficient so that I will have time to do other things, and finish up!! 

My advisor told me that I can do it.  It was the very words that I wanted.  I cannot say enough how much her encouragement means to me, and how thankful I am to have an advisor like her. 




No comments:

Post a Comment