7.30.2023

Boston - Trains

The subway was convenient to get around in Boston for an affordable fare, but inside it was filled with gas emitted from the trains (diesel?), and the air quality was poor.  I’m now amazed how breathable Kyoto’s subway is. As is often the case in the US, there are…. extremely diverse people. Those who look like homeless, or someone who screams something with a loud voice, someone with her entire hair covered (powdered) with dandruff, someone who starts dancing to the music their phone is playing with a loud volume. It was quite a… chaos, in many ways.  Though most passengers looked fine, I never want to commute on these trains in Boston.  

And of course, some ticket machines are broken. One read my credit card and made a transaction, but never spitted out my ticket.  It is expected, something that I perhaps was able to shrug my shoulders at and say “this is the American way..” when I was living in MI, but now I have low patience towards this kind of thing after living in Japan for quite some time now.  First of all, machines should be more reliable, and broken ones should be labeled as “out of order”.  But I know even if I talked to one of the station staff members, they won’t do anything because it’s not their job.  Indifference and low motivation are another thing that I noticed here.  Workers generally take their time and are not interested in customer satisfaction whatsoever, unless they rely on tip.  In Japan, workers are expected to meet very high standards and it is sometimes too much, so we should take the middle ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment