5.27.2019

Dijon - bakery, conference, history with an owl

Every morning, I tried different bakeries! It was so much fun to just look at the beautiful breads they have, and it was very hard to choose one. They have coffee, but it was more like a espresso-style, bitter, small-serving drink, which was interesting.
Bread is very reasonably priced - many small ones are about a euro, and bigger ones are 2-3.


Cute decorations. Judging from this, baked sweets are almost as common as they are in the US, but people are skinnier... Why?


Place Republic. I took the wrong tram on the first day, so I had to come back here to take another line. It happens on the first day of a conference!

Then after the conference, we came back to downtown to attend a guided city-walking tour. The guide spoke Spanish, French, and English. And a lot of times her talk was a mixture of French and English words with Spanish accent. Some researchers from Spain and Latin America understood her better, I think. Anyway it was a very informative tour.   

So many buildings are from the Medieval era.  


High-class condo located downtown is gated, but our guide somehow sneaked us in.

Inside this palace-like buildings do residents live. Inside must be pretty modern with electricity and heating, but the work to preserve the exterior is amazing.

Near my apartment.

Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne de Dijon. 


Concert was held on one of the nights I was there! I was very excited to go, but I missed it because I thought it was going to be from 19:00. But it was actually from 17:00.... It was shocking!! Have to go there again sometime. 

Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne de Dijon. The bottom part of this church was built 1000 years ago. I imagined people piling up the huge stones to build the church here. I truly felt the history..


An owl is the symbol of Dijon because of a statue of an owl found in the Church of Notre-dame. Just follow those chuettes (owl in French) and you will be guided to major historic sights in Dijon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment