3.13.2023

Shut Up and Write one-day retreat!

I had such a productive day at SUW retreat!  The venue is an old machiya guesthouse with an event space on the second floor.  The event space was two tatami rooms combined full of antique pieces.  Though many of us had a hard time sitting on the floor for a long time, we managed to focus and got so much writing done.  I made a lot of progress on the R package website, so that was good.  

It's definitely felt special because we usually gather and write for just one and half hours, but this time we had the whole day to write.  There were more times when we could chat, get to know each other, and share what we are working on in detail and what we want to do in future sessions.  After it was finished, we had additional time to mingle with some of the attendees and the organizer, which was really nice.

A lot of the attendees are working on creative writing, like script writing or short stories which have nothing to do with their job, I admire those who are not authors by profession but are serious about creative writing and actually put their imagination into tangible words and stories that others can read.  For me, I would rather draw and express my imagination, so it is impressive that they only do that with words and text.  I am inspired to be more creative rather than just working on my work stuff all the time.  I definitely need more time to do all the things that I want to do, but complaining about lack of time won't bring you anywhere, yes, I am well aware that... 

I will make a note that we'd prefer desks and chairs, if possible, and if we were to have a retreat like this again.  







No comments:

Post a Comment