8.01.2023

Boston - Quest: going through immigration!

It was a hassle to enter into the US. When I arrived at Hawaii and tried to go through immigration, the officer found it problematic that I work for US employers without work visa and I am trying to enter the US for work. One must have a valid work visa to perform any work in the US under an US employer.  I explained my situation, but the officer said “How is that possible?” He does not have a good idea about what international remote work is.  I was taken to a different room, where a dozen of other people were waiting for detailed questioning.  They seemed to have invalid visa, lack of visa, and insufficient documents and so on… No cell phone use was allowed in the room, and the room was locked from outside!  You cannot open the door from inside unless someone opens it for you from the outside.  It was scary.. and I only had 4 hours to switch planes to Boston.  The pace that people were called for investigation was slow, of course.  The officers were taking their time, and many of the “questionable” visitors did not speak good English, which also prolonged the process.  It was quite a mental challenge to keep calm and NOT worry about time, though I knew that I may make it to the connecting flight, or may not, and I had no control over it.  I’m so glad I had a sketchbook with me, so I was just scribbling and drawing on it.  But in my heart I was quite upset, thinking that what if I was not admitted to the US – am I going to wait for my returning flight here till the day comes, or what…?  

It was not a pleasant experience, which I never wish to go through again. After quite some time of waiting, my turn finall came.  Luckily, the officer said OK because my contract with the U of Minnesota ended last month, and technically I am not employed by them at that time.  It was close.. I wonder what would have happened if I had told them about my current, ongoing contract with Michigan State (I briefly mentioned that at the general immigration, but somehow it was ignored later in the questioning).  I should have said I am a consultant, not employed by the University?  But still they are going to ask detailed questions about where the data comes from, how it is shared, and how I am getting paid.  I don’t know if I could go to another conference in November with my current contract status.. Hmm  I need to talk to the US embassy anyways, cos I did not receive a stamp of admission. 

Even after going through immigration, more time-pressed tasks were waiting.  I had to pick up my luggage, go through customs, go to a different terminal, literally by going outside the of the airport, crossing the street to enter another terminal to drop off my bag and then go through security.  There was waiting a loooooong line of dropping checking bags and another loooong line for security check.  At that time, it was already 1 pm, and my connecting flight was 2:40, and it made me convinced that I may not be able to make it.  The Honolulu airport looks like there is not enough capacity for security and bag check for the number of passengers they have.  But I made it!  It took 50 min to be done with the line of bad drop and another one with security, and and when I arrived at the gate, boarding was about to start.  Thank goodness, but it was close...  When I sat down on my seat on the plane bound for Boston, I was already exhausted, feeling it’s unbelievable that I made it through all of that.  The lessons?

  1. Have plenty of time at the airport of first entry, 
  2. Keep calm and keep your hope, and
  3. Be prepared for this kind of issue associated with ‘internationally work from home’ lifestyle, because it is new. 


I had absolutely NO time to enjoy transitting in Hawaii, lol...

No comments:

Post a Comment