11.19.2009

Lecture

From Monday to Friday, we had a lecture given by Pf. David Cleik from Queensland university. He is very famous for his work of cyclic peptide and its pharmaceutical application. He talked about brief introduction of his study and method of NMR analysis determining the sequence and the structure of peptides.

His AG accent was not so strong as I expected, and he tried to speak slowly so I had little problem understanding what he was saying. I still spotted some characteristics of AG English. One of the most typical and confusing one is that "A" becomes "I" in his speech. He is talking about "AMX", but what I hear is "IMX". Similarly 8 sounds like "ait".

His explanation was clear enough for me to understand the basics. It was fun and I was very excited all the time during the lecture because it was like studying abroad. I do regret not staying in a foreign country for a long time to study. Living away from your home country and going all for something you want to do must broaden your horizon, your limit, and your view of life. Anyway I was very very lucky to be able to take this special chance to attend a lecture by an extremely famous professor in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment