5.31.2014

The pressure of "It's up to you."

A quick note of today's dream. My elementary school friend whom I haven't met for years contacted me saying that she had a serious illness that can only be treated by organ transplant. She asked me to take a test to check whether my organ type matches with hers. She did not say what she wants me to do if my type was the same as hers, but it was clear that she wanted to have an organ transplant.

Everything was so sudden and so bizarre. Why is she talking to me all of a sudden after years of silence? What kind of disease is she suffering.. and why did she come to me? I was sure that I was not in her list of close friends who she will go to.

It was a foggy day.
With a sense of guilt, I drove to the hospital that she asked me to go to. And I clearly remember taking parking ticket, going through the old, clumsy gate and parking at the grayish car park. I met her there again. I don't know what we talked, but I was just worrying if the surgery would be painful and be risky. This question made me look self-centred, for which I had a bad feeling.  Why am I doing this all of a sudden?
It was a strange, yet realistic, chilling dream. I wasn't, and am still not, ready for this situation whether I can agree to participate in an organ transplant.

Medicine is progressing a lot in the modern times, but are we ready to be a part of it? An array of choices may mean a lot more worries and obligations and considerations will be required.        

No comments:

Post a Comment