7.26.2020

Hard-earned certificate No.2!!

Finished taking "Design and Make Inforaphics" on Coursera. I spent a good chunk of time these past two weekends, and finally got something that I'm happy with!  It's very rewarding to earn a certificate of completion of a course.


This course is taught by a professor at my university... on an online platform.. just a coincidence.  He had worked for NewsWeek many years and has made so many beautiful infographics and informational graphical articles in his career.  Adobe Illustrator was recommended, but it was not free, so I didn't use it. I did all the assignments with Medibang paint, Excel, and Powerpoint. But I'm sure Illustrator would make things much better. The professor makes it very easy to make materials with good colors and fonts.  


Anyways I'm happy with my infographic. It will be useful for me when I meet someone for the first time and explain why and on what trait I'm working on beans (though I don't know when I can ever meet someone in person again...)

All the images and icons are creative commons or my own, so I don't need to worry about copyright issues.  My internship has taught me how to search for freely available contents, which I haven't paid a lot of attention to, but is important!!

I like the course - I recommend it to anyone who is interested in making infographics. https://www.coursera.org/learn/infographic-design?

Interstingly, I think designing still relies heavily on invididuals' intuition - it's hard to teach how to arrange elements you need in the best way and to use the fonts and colors in the best effective way. There are so many combinations, and it's just impossible to try everything, and yet, we need to find out the best layout or overall look of the materials you are making.  It cannot be calculated. It can only be optimized by one's artistic brain.  It's easy to tell when a design is bad, but it's hard to tell how to improve it.  Another course on fundamentals of graphic design, a part of Professional Certicicate program, will help a little bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment