1.05.2022

Cloudy sake にごり酒

I've already resumed working in kyoto and things are back to normal, but my diary of the new year's holiday continues..  It's defininately colder in Kyoto than Oita!

Nigori-sake, or hazy (cloudy) sake is made by pressing finished sake mash through a larger mesh.  Pressing separates solids and liquid (sake), but the larger mesh size lets some small solid particles into liquid sake, resulting in the hazy appearance.  It's supposed to be in high in umami.  This cloudy one we had for the holiday is higher in alcohol than usual sake - around 18-19% because it's not diluted with water like usually done.  It's rich in flavor and sweet, so it's easy to drink it a lot without really noticing the alcohol.  As a result, my grandfather, my father, and my uncle had many cups of it, chatting and chatting, then they all had hangover, as expected.  It was kind of funny, but also it's dangerous... I still don't understand why people drink so much up to the point where they turn into a different person or lose memory or throw up (the three of my family didn't go that far, thankfully).  It's nice to enjoy it moderately on occasions, but it's not a daily thing for me. Amazake is just perfect for me!
  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment