11.16.2010

Summery of the trip




We visited four grain companies in NSW, South Australia and Western Australia and discussed crop information of this year. The southern and eastern part of the continent had abundant rain and barley grew well in the production area. On the other hand, western part had little rain, less than half of average rainfall throughout the year. Barley was short in length and grain was also small because of the drought. What makes it worse is that it rains often now, when they are about to harvest. Rain at this time will damage the grain because it makes karnels softer. All in all, total production is estimated to be normal due to good yield in Southern and Eastern part offsetting the poor condition in the West.

The trip was basically all about business, but we sometimes had a bit of sightseeing. I woke up early in the morning and walked around the hotel, taking photos of Opera house in Sidney and beautiful European buildings in Adelaide. We also went to a park and a beach where the view was excellent.

It was more than good that I met a lot of people involved in this industry and made friends with them. They are very friendly, kind and smart. I had a great time both in meetings and at dinner especially with my friends in Adelaide. So I have the best memory of Adelaide of all cities we visited.

I found myself speaking English more naturally and easily. It felt so nice when my colleagues asked me to interpret their presentation and to translate questions in English. Employees from trading company, who spoke both English and Japanese very very fluently motivated me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment