1.26.2011

operator

Today something exciting happened!

When I answered a phone call in the office, a guy asked "Can I talk to Mr. XX?" in Japanese with a slight accent. I answered that Mr. XX was at the meeting and then he asked "Is Mr. YY there?" again in Japanese. I said he was on a business trip in Japanese but he didn't seem to understand it so I asked him if he speaks English. Since he said yes, I said the two people he wanted to talk to were out, and that Mr. XX would be available in three hours in English. He praised my English and even asked my name. It turned out that he was one of the business partners of our company and was calling from Canada. My coworkers heard me speaking English for the first time, and they said they were impressed, too. I felt fluttered....

I felt comfortable when talking with a stranger on a phone in English, to my surprise. Two years ago when I picked up a call from an English-speaking guy, I was able to talk with him but I was nervous and intimidated, not normal. I saw some improvement in myself and was happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment