12.20.2019

Farewell party

Went to a farewell party for an undergrad research assistant who worked with us for 2 years. In those two years, she co-authored two papers and won an undergraduate research award - impressive achievements. She wanted to be a teacher - so she is going to volunteer for 2.5 years in Africa.

She is going to live in a village with locals. There is no internet, electricity, and she will take shower with water in a bucket. What a change from this modern side of the world. What urges her to do so? Young and hungry to make a difference, as put in a biography of Steven Beebe, I think, who went to CIAT in Colombia to dedicate himself in breeding high yielding beans for locals. I admire the willingness to move overseas to help people there. I really hope that she will be safe and enjoy her life there. 

Bean game "Bonanza". It's more of a negotiation game than roll-a-dice. Every time I play games with others, I find them so smart. I have no intention to win or do well. I just go with the flow...


"I'm not sleeping.... yet... "




Italian tapas & Japanese wiskey!

No comments:

Post a Comment