12.10.2019

Future career, passion, and practicality

Talked with a friend about future career plan. What was inspiring was that she said "You may be laid off as you get old in the industry, but for professors, the longer you work, the more value you have.  I hope I'll have skills useful in becoming a professor after I work some time in the industry". She's planning to develop skills that'll help her to go to the next step. She's got a clear picture of what she wants to do.

It was an eye opener for me. I don't know which skills to develop because I don't know what I want to do, and I can't imagine myself doing anything particular at the moment. 

One career advice was "not to follow your passion". Instead, you should find out what you're good at, and become great at it. Even if you don't particularly love it at first, the recognition and compensation will make you start to love it. That's a very practical advice. Maybe many people don't have things that they are really passionate about and want to do. Maybe it's all about finding a proper position for talent and finding yours a most suitable one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment