2.03.2022

Kyoto City Library

Having used electronic materials from the library for so long, I kinda forgot about the joy of being in a library.  But I went to one of the city libraries the other day and re-discovered it!  It's a small library, but there are many books that caught my attention.  I will certainly become a regular at this place. It's only 10 min by bike! 

It reminded me of a good friend of mine saying her dream is to read every single book at the library.  Hmm, in this cute little library, it might be possible.  Books are fascinating.  The best thing about it is it's free to borrow books, so I can just skip or skim through some books if I want to.
   
Libraries are such a wonderful public service.  I compare this time when books and resources are abundant and accessible to citizens with the time when books are precious and only for upper class, and the physical limit of access was the bottleneck of intellectual advancement of the general public.  For example, my grandmother loved to read and did well at school, but her family couldn't afford to let her go to high school (and/or they did not see the value of doing so).  I always remember her encouraging me to study and saying she is envious of the younger generation having plenty of time and resources to study.  

So now, we have a lot of information at hand, whether to use it, absorb it, and learn from it is completely up to us.  We are never too old to study and read.  Libraries are one of the few things that I am getting the worth of my tax money for.


A wonderful design!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment