1.29.2023

The field you like&what you don't mind doing 8 hrs/day

Note to self, "ikigai" and something similar...

Regarding "the stuff that I thought/convinced myself I'm interested in ended up being things I'm tired of", one thing I would like to share from a career consulting book is that you want to separate "what you are passionate about" and "what you are good at (or at least don't mind doing 40 hrs/week)" and find an overlap between them.

I love the field of nutrition, but I wouldn't enjoy working as a community nutritionist interacting with strangers everyday. Rather, I'd enjoy analyzing nutritional data and writing reports.  The field I like and the tasks I like (or at least I don't mind doing  every day) - this combination will be a better fit for me.  A person who likes baseball doesn't have to be a baseball player. S/he can be a sports journalist, training coach, stadium vendor, or uniform manufacturer.  There are many ways to be involved in the field you like.

So it seems to me that you like the field of biotechnology and plant research, but you did not like doing wet lab experiments yourself.  This is my observation, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I hope these examples make sense to you?  Maybe you can think about What aspects of agricultural extension do you like? What activity in ag extension do you think you wouldn't mind doing 8 hours per day?

No comments:

Post a Comment