8.26.2009

Placement test

I missed the listening test, but was able to take the speaking test because I overslept on the 1st day of school!! It is my fault that the alarm clock did not work as I set it 12 hours late. The clock of my cell phone still shows Japan time, so I have to calculate what time to get up in America. It is so confusing that I missed the test.

What was surprising is there are many many Japanese people there! Some people came as a group and they are already friends each other. I did not expect that. The volunteer students told me that there are usually more diversities in nationalities of the students, but this time there is not. If there are a lot of people from one country, they end up speaking in their native language all the time. I never want it to happen!

I was placed to an A class and the majority were Japanese, and many of them are from the same university, but there are some students from Taiwan, Korea, and Saudi Arabia. I strongly hope they speak English in order for us to practice! I know, at the same time, it is kind of uneasy and embarrassing to speak other languages, but we need to do it. That is why we are here. Anyway, my classmates are pretty good at English.

After lunch, we took a quick tour to the campus. The campus is beautiful. The grass was green, and I even saw a squirrel in the bush. Brick buildings are also excellent; they are all new and maintained well.

What was funny is that we wandered for almost two hours to get a U-pass, which enables students to get a free unlimited bus ride. We went to one office to get one, and were told it was a wrong place and how to get to the "right" office. And then we walk all the way through the campus and were told that it was a wrong place again. It continued 3 times!! At the time we purchased the U-pass, we were so tired and went home directly.

I am ready for the class, starting from tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment