2.01.2012

The kind, respectable man

It's no good news.

A man I got to know in Australia has been diagnosed cancer and his life is only a few months left.

The news astonished me.

Although I met him just once, more than a year ago, I still consider him as a friend and respect his skills and experience as well as his warm, generous personality. So, it was just hard to believe. How is he feeling now? How on earth would it feel to know that you have only several months?

I wanted to send him a message, but I didn't. What could I say to him?
"I heard you are sick"? "Are you feeling better now?" "I hope it is not too painful"? They all sound so inappropriate. It's nothing but torture for him. But is he going to leave without contacting anybody? Maybe his close friends are visiting him?

He still reports to the office, doing work as if nothing was wrong. I have heard a similar story from my mum about one of her ex-colleagues, who also suffered from cancer with some months left and went to work normally until two days before he passed away. So doing the same daily routine might give patients relief, that is totally understandable.

It makes me want to cry when I think of him. Even though I cannot say anything to him directly, I always care about him, and wish his days will be filled with comfort.

It taught me that we might lose somebody all of a sudden, or things might change drastically out of the blue, and our normal peaceful life is so fragile and easy to be disturbed. It is truly valuable that we can end the day without any problem.....

No comments:

Post a Comment