10.08.2016

Fortunate Friday

Lunchtime chitchat
Today I had lunch with my fellow graduate students. They are in their 3rd and 4th year. They were very kind and talkative. We talked about when it will start snowing in Michigan (middle of November is just a month away!), how to deal with the situation where your car stopped working in the middle of the road (which is crazy, but it could happen) and the activities held by the students' organisation in the department.

One of them is the main organisers and said they want grad students to go out of their office and meet new people. It is true that it is easy to isolate yourself in the graduate programme because you work alone most of the time. I already have spent many days without talking to anyone besides some "Hi,"s in the hallway. He said it is nice to make friends in general, and especially to have someone to call when your car gets stuck. He had a point. I had a nice time chatting with them.

I did not know until then, but talking with someone makes you feel very good. I had a warm feeling of not being alone, connected, and belonging.

Some prospects for next week
I will help some experiments from next week.. Finally I will get some work as a graduate assistant. I hope it will go OK.. I will do my best not to mess with it!

A new workbuddie 
I got a secondhand monitor in a store today. It is great to have a second monitor. My (virtual) workspace has been essentially doubled (!). Higher efficiency can be bought for a minimal cost of $25. Good investment. But now it tempts you to get a nice, powerful desktop.

Hmm busy, but at least the exam week is done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment