11.08.2018

Working hard at university with lots of things going on!

All kinds of things are happening  simultaneously and I'm barely keeping up with everything. There's a mini conference on food business and then an informal get-together of the recipients tomorrow, and a seminar on food and genetic engineering technology given by a former NIFA director on Friday. In between these, I need to work on the GBS data, find SNPs and do some phylogenetic analyses to write a conference abstract. I also need to analyse my paste data, run stats and prepare a manuscript. This is going to be presented at the lab meeting hopefully. I am also going to some final touches to my bean paste review and submit it to a journal. I'll see if they consider publishing it. The bean seeds cleaning is pending because I've got so much to do already, we can use undergrads' help with that, and I'm not going to use the yield data for my own research. It's hard to distribute labour evenly across so many projects.

It was motivating to see my fellow student's work today. It's amazing how much work she has done so far. She has probably three times more things to do than me and she's done everything thoroughly. How is it possible?? She's something else, but I want to know how to be productive like her, if possible.

November's flying by, too, and I just hope I'll finish everything by the holiday season starts. Great thing is that there's plenty of resource I can use: consulting service from iCER, advice from the Genomics Core, the image analysis community, and help with writing tge paste review by my advisors. That's a very useful thing about being part of a university. I can't believe now how isolated I was at a company in a rural area and how limited resources we had. At a university, there are so many workshops, seminars, and classes for lifelong learning. Experts in every realm of research is there and you can go talk to them.

Reading a paper published in 1906, still intact and stored well, I feel the history of the first agricultural university in the US. I'm very very lucky to be here! 

The choir class is going well. It was great fun to sing Hallelujah. Need to sing like a British! Then I realise how Americanised my English is now in terms of pronunciation. It's funny. The best thing is that people get along very well and become friends almost instantly. The lady who sat next to me talked to me and was very nice. I really like that they don't hesitate to talk to foreigners. It's partly because it's impossible to tell apart foreigners and Americans just by the look, but also because they are used to interacting with people from other parts of the world. There's nothing special about it, so we just talk like normal. I like this culture and wish people in Japan had a similar mentality. Giving special treatment to foreigners only creates thicker boundary between "us" and "them".

---Photos---
Kinda unrelated to the body text, but the recent stormy weather blew a lot of leaves. And Google logo that turned Go Vote on the election day. That was a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment