2.01.2020

Qualitative researcher's hat

Had a constructive info session about how to be an effective interviewer. I attended one of the lab meetings where people who do quatlitative research (analyze textual information and try to understand and describe social world).

Their lab meeting is very organized! 3 people do a moderator (lead the conversation), time keeper, and note taker. The meeting ends on time because everyone is aware of their time, and the discussion note is already done when they finish meeting. It was an eye-opening experience! So efficient.

I also liked that everyone gave a 1-2 minute quick update on what they are working on the past week. I think it's nice to know what they are doing.

Doing an interview is more than just asking a series of questions - you need to establish a good rapport with the interviewee, make sure they feel comfortable taking with you, keep positive face and attitude all the time, be inquisitive and appreciative, and keep track on which questions have already been answered. It's a lot going on for one person to pay attention to!

As my textbook said, "you need to wear a qualitative researcher's hat, and become a quick thinker and communicator." Easier said than done! It is very different from what biology researchers do; just focus on their specimen, little talking, carry out the same experimental steps one by one, one batch after another. It's very important that all the steps are carried out the same way to maintain consistency. For qualitative research, it's the opposite. The interviewing process is organic, and no two interviews are the same. The process needs to be modified and adjusted to a particualar interviewee on the spot!  

Seems to me that I need to be a different person. I need to try! 

This kind of thing is the opposite of what I like (being quiet and handle things, not humans), but at the same time I kind of like the challenging aspect of it.

Through studying for my comps, I seriously questioned if I deserve to be a researcer because of my bad memory and slow thinking, especially compared to my peers, but being challenged is a good thing - you do not get an opportunity to do so all the time. 

Now thinking about what I can do in the last year of my life being a student. I want to learn as much as possible.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment