1.29.2016

Snowstorm without water

It was a hectic week!
On Sunday it snowed so much that the water pipes froze, disabling water supply until Monday night. The ice didn't melt because of the low temperature. It was the first winter-like weather this season though. I was totally unprepared, and shocked to find there was no water.

So I needed to ask my friend for shower-rental. What an experience. Some households and condos had normal water supply, but others didn't have water for a few days. Houses and apartments are not for freezing winter. Houses in Holkaido have branched pipes to empty them so that the water inside will not freeze, but we don't have that. Anyway it was a meaningful lesson to realize the importance of water supply, which I tended to take granted for.

Coincidentally, just the day before it happened, I watched a TV programme featuring Japanese working in developing countries, and a lady in East Timor only had water supply for an hour per day. So she keeps the faucet open to collect water in a tank connected to it. I found it very inconvenient and admired her determination to live there to help people. I never imagined at that time that I would face the same situation that she deals with on a daily basis.

Now I'm very thankful to those who worked day and night to fix the pipes at work and those who maintain the constant supply of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment