7.31.2023

Boston - hotels

The notorious (?) American quality can be seen in even at luxury hotels like Sheraton.  One of the conference attendees that I made good friends with said she does not have hot water for shower in her room. She reported the problem to the reception the previous evening and was told that it had been fixed; however, she still did not have warm water in her shower.  Poor lady.  I thought Sheraton was a prestigious hotel brand that never has this kind of problems.  I guess not.  I’m so glad that I had warm water in my room in a different hotel, but the water pressure is low.  Very weak shower took me a lot more time to shower.  Why is not the water pressure in the American scale? 

My room did have hot water, but I had my own problem of noisy neighbors and no stirrer sticks.  I wanted some stirrer sticks with which you stir your coffee with, because I was using them as chopsticks to eat deli foods. However, one day the housekeepers did not leave new ones, so I called the reception desk and asked for some.  They said they’d run out of them!  I couldn’t believe my ears.  A hotel as luxurious as Marriott has run out of stirrer sticks??  They could kept a ton of them cos they are small and non perishable!  I thought it wasn’t true because it was 6 am that I called them and thought they are just too sleepy to deal with a trivial request as stirrer sticks (that is, of course, not professional at all!). But no sticks were left on the following day after housekeeping also.  It made me now believe that they run out of them. Really?  Have they heard about doing an inventory check and ordering in advance before they run out of items?  Anyway…

Another thing is that the air conditioning is so loud in older buildings. The fan is so loud that I cannot sleep with AC on. Thankfully it was not hot enough to have to keep the AC on during the night, but it was quite noticable noise. I wonder how people deal with it, but I guess you get used to it to some extent, as everything's bigger and louder in the US. 

My impression of Boston is just such a busy and hectic city to be in.  I shut in my room, ate some deli or takeout food, while sunbathing at the window, with the temperature set at 75F.  It was so cold in the conference room, whereas it was so hot and humid outside that I was having a heat shock, which is not good for the body at all. I constantly felt that my lymph grand was swollen. It must’ve been working hard to fight with various germs that I got throughout the days mingling with people.  Very thankful for that.

View from my first hotel on the 13th floor.  There was no room No. 1313. Interesting! 

My second hotel room.

View from the 15th floor of my hotel near the harbor.

There's a ferry port. 

This hotel was nice, with marine-themed paintings and lots of mirrors both in the rooms and the common area. 

View of airport runway. 

Cargo center..

I need to remember that I should have all my bank notes in $1 so that I can tip porters and drivers.. It's easy to forget!  Tipping is the only occasion where you cannot use your credit card. 

No comments:

Post a Comment