7.09.2019

Abstract and statistics pitfall 要旨と統計の落とし穴

It was a busy Monday!

I finished writing an abstract for my poster presentation at a conference in August. I had 4 other co-authors, and it was hard to have everyone read and comment by the due date (today!). I should have started sending my draft to them earlier. It took more than I thought because if the 4th of July holiday. Lesson learned: you always have less time than you optimistically anticipate. Especially if it involves other people, start early and give them plenty of time to do it for you. They may be on a vacation or busy with another tight deadline. I think I've learned this lesson looong time ago!!

What was funny was that the two people from another institution didn't agree on their edits. They are there and can communicate much easier than emailing me, and still they behave like they'd not talked about this together. Maybe they hadn't. It's interesting to see them not to form an opinion as a group. Another example of individualism. 

I thought I was done with writing my paper after editing it 100 times for the paste 6 weeks or so. Then, I found that I didn't include the block effect in my statistical analyses!!! Here we go again.... It sometimes happens that I have a fact A and a fact B both in my brain, buy they are not connected with each other.  This time, I knew the fact that my experiments were in a randomised complete block design (RCBD)  and the fact that I need to include block as an effect in my statistical model. If I write them like this, it's very obvious and it makes me feel worse, but so many other things tend to mess up my neuron network..

It's a bummer that I need to re-run the analysis, but at least I noticed it before giving my draft paper to anyone. What an embarrassment would it have been! I'll do it again patiently and calmly, with another lesson in mind. Not going to think about how much time I spent on the wrong model... The word productivity comes next to proper analysis....

論文書いて見直しめちゃして、できた!と思ったら統計解析のやり方を間違えててやり直しということに気づいた……。今?!なぜ?! 昔から、事実Aと事実Bが頭にあってもそれらが繋がっていないことがよくあり、そのために何かをぽーんと見落とすことがあります。うぐぐ………。

誰かに論文を送る前に気がついて良かった。解析結果自体はそんなに変わることはないと思うので、論文で論じた事をあまり変えなくていいように……願っております。



Summer like sky. It's so humid. 

Orange lilies

Light green buds flowering very soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment