8.27.2021

Hot, Humid, and History

A very nice day!  I was able to talk with a friend in Michigan over the phone and caught up with her.  It was comforting to hear the familiar voice, and it made me miss Michigan.  Still cannot believe I'm not there anymore!

I took a break of writing and continued the history class.  I'm done with Week 3.  4 more to go!  I am learning a lot from that course.  It's very interesting!  The lecturer is talented in telling historical stories in an intriguing way.  The visual aids he uses are sophisticated, too.  I'm also learning some new words like 'court system to adjudicate disputes', 'presemptuous', 'a resplendent atomosphere', 'surrender ignominiously' etc.

It's very interesting to learn about the Great Divergence, where East Asia and Western Europe diverged and followed different paths from the 1800s, which has a large impact on how the world is today, although the two parts of the world had some commonarities in the earlier time.

What is interesting about studying the history of 1700s and onwards is that events that took place  during this period has a consequence on modern day in one way or another.  It's never too late to learn things, but I wish I studied this earlier.  This is a basic knowledge that international students should know.  Why study history?  Because we can learn from the past.  What they were thinking in the past also makes us realize how far we've come through human history.  I'm so glad I have time to take this course now.

I should finish taking this course as soon as possible because I have access to it though my university account, and I am not sure how long it will last after I graduate.  I can take the course for free with a free account, but if I finish the course with my university account, I will get a certificate!  And that is why I'm trying to finish it.  For the same reason, I should finish my graphic design course soon, too.  Though I believe there will be some grace period.

It was a hot and humid day today, the daytime high was above 90F, which is crazy.  There was a public announcement/warning against heat stroke!  I did not go out during the day, and went for a walk at twilight.  Walking near the river is refreshing, though it was still very hot and humid even after sunset.  Well... One more month, and it will be OK.  And winter will be mild.


   


No comments:

Post a Comment