8.21.2021

Quarantine week in progress

My quarantine ilfe has been very easy and comfortable.  I've got a big room with a desk, a TV that can be used as a second monitor, and a small dining table.  It's much worth the price!!  I value spaciousness more than I used to, it's an American influence.

At fist it was hard to believe that I am in Japan now.  It still feels like as though I could go back to my old apartment that I just moved out, and walk around the lovely neighbourhood with trees and flowers.  It's still hard to believe, and not having talked with anyone much also makes me kinda not fit back in yet, which is fine.  I wonder if I will feel I belong again if I live in a big city of Japan, where there is more diversity in how people live, work, and behave.  But if not, it's OK as well.

Having learnt and experienced Western and Japanese cultures, I really feel like I'm a hybrid, which makes me wonder where on earth I feel I belong.  But maybe belonging is not a big issue.  The important thing to keep in mind is that my feelings are just chemicals in my brain, things can always change, and you don't know what will happen  in the future, which is exciting, and that 90% of worries or concerns will not happen (learned in a hard way after a traffic accident!).

So.... I don't know where I will be and what I will be doing, but I just focus on the present moment, enjoy life.  Future is a contiumation of today, tomorrow, and day after tomorrow.  If I live happily every day, that means I will be happy in the future, too!  I'm thankful that I still have connections with researchers in the US, some more exciting projects waiting ahead!

It's a nice neighbourhood around the hotel near Narita, Chiba pref.  The humid wind and the smell of maturing rice paddies, earlier sunset than Michigan... all those faimilar things make me nostargic, kind of.  The hotel has a vineyard, too!  It reminded me of the vineyard that my grandfather has been growing for a few years now.  I can't wait to see my grandparents!!  

Things to do in the coming week
 - work on final edits to my disseration
 - meet with my labmate for comps prep
 - get ML methods in the M&M --> Revision done!
 - wirte an article about study abroad

ホテル生活は極めて快適だ。広い部屋にしてよかった。。。スーツケース二個を広げても超余裕、28 m2, 301 ft2だそうだ。アパート選びの参考にしよう。
まだ日本にいるとは信じられないけど、、、徐々に慣れている。しかもアメリカの仕事をしているので、どこにいても本当に関係ないんだなあと実感。
在宅でストレスフリーなので一日が早いしやけ食い?明日もあるし食べとかなきゃ、的な食欲もないので極めて安定した毎日を送っている。
論文 revision がなかなか大変だったけどー reviewer 1人目は一日でかたついてよかった。




 

No comments:

Post a Comment